Barsam 2019
Happy New Year! As the New Year starts it seems a good time
to recap 2019.
One year ago on New Year’s
Eve I observed my son Ben propose to his girlfriend Shae. On a terrace overlooking the Seine with the
Eiffel Tower in the background. Except
for the proposal, Paris was not on my immediate travel list. But the three nights I spent there were a
feast for the eye, the palate, the psyche.
Maybe I need to pursue this travel thing. Oh, and Shae said yes.
In February I accompanied
Ben on a road trip to his Naval training post in San Diego. As we traveled we were joined by a half-dozen
of the ensigns that I had come to know at the Naval Academy and since. We stopped in Charleston, Pensacola, Tucson,
Amarillo, Dallas, Albuquerque, and had adventures and reunions and more feasts
for the eye, the palate and the psyche.
Why did I wait until middle age to do this?
In April I portrayed Curtis
in a local production of Sister Act. In
the movie Curtis is Whoopi Goldberg’s gangster boss boyfriend. It was kind of a big part! And a well-appreciated show. At the time I reported that the audience
screamed at us like we were The Beatles.
Ben’s brother and sisters
accompanied me to visit Ben in San Diego at the beginning of summer. Their review: We ate. A lot.
But we also walked numerous beaches, spent a terrific afternoon with
wild sea lions, and enjoyed a visit to the zoo.
You wouldn’t think narrating the actions of a pigeon peacock would be a
worthwhile pursuit, but it turns out to be so.
Next Gail and I had the
pleasure of seeing our community theater friend Shereen step into the lead role
in My Fair Lady. On Broadway! And our seats – front row center. Not sure how that happened. To say it was spectacular doesn’t seem like
enough. And she was even happy to see us
after at the stage door. Now Shereen is
performing as Eliza in the traveling production of My Fair Lady. Awesome.
Another weekend trip to San
Diego, this time solo. I hung with Ben
and the junior officers. We watched Navy
football and the Ravens from San Diego bars catering to each. My review: We ate. A lot.
And I distinctly remember seriously questioning whether I wanted to get
on that plane home.
Around this time I had landed
an ensemble role in a local production of Scrooge the Musical. One of my contributions was soliciting Scrooge
for a donation and hearing him reply - Are there no workhouses? Another well-received show.
This was a jolt. Gail was diagnosed with breast cancer early
in the year, and I was privileged to be able to be by her side through
appointments and surgery and recovery.
She is on the mend now.
Around Thanksgiving Sears
announced it was closing my Bel Air location after the New Year. Fortunately, some former coworkers had
previously urged me to apply at a local credit union. I received an offer within a week of the
closing announcement, perhaps the easiest job transition of my life. I bade Sears farewell Christmas Eve after
eight years and I start the new adventure in early January. One door closes, another opens.
Peaches the Cat was the star
of a number of “Home Improvement and Car Repair with Cat Help” posts throughout
the year. Sadly, Peaches passed on right
before Christmas. What a terrific pet
and companion for so many years. Rachael
and Jacob can scarce remember a time before him. I still find myself watching and listening for
him. Needless to say, he is missed.
And here we are at year-end
and a visit home from Ben and Shae looking at September wedding venues. After they investigated several options
throughout the region, I directed them to Havre de Grace and La Banque de Fleuve. It’s a beautiful outdoor waterfront venue owned
by a friend. They both thought it was da bomb. Done!
Hannah is knocking it out in
Nursing School, and at Bel Air High School Rachael (senior) and Jacob
(sophomore) are getting it done with style.
And here comes 2020. I wish you and yours a blessed, happy year.
Comments
Post a Comment