Introducing The Real Stories of Cat Help - Helping a dude replace an ignition coil



I can stay silent no longer.  After all the assistance I give the dude, all the credit he gives me is a photo with the caption “with cat help.”  Thanks a lot!  But now it is time for The Real Story.

Like recently, the Volvo was running rough and was throwing a Check Engine code of P0303.  The dude figured that out using the OBD2 tester I found for him years ago on ebay for $15.  P0303 means that cylinder 3 is misfiring.  The dude was thinking of hitting the mechanic, but I tried to reason with him.  Mechanic = $100 plus parts.  IF they get it right the first time.  All you really need here is an ignition coil from RockAuto.com and maybe a spark plug, give it a try.  I like to stand on the engine while the dude is working, in case he needs step-by-step guidance.  He’s a dude, so he doesn’t ask.  What a jerk! 

And what a scatterbrain!  He needs a drink.  He needs a snack.  He needs a potty-break.  Doesn’t he understand that if he eliminates the first two needs he knocks out the third?


Anyway, loosen the clamp on the turbocharger air tube, remove the two Torx screws holding the bracket and swing it out of the way.  Remove the 50 Torx screws (ok it’s only about a dozen but he makes it seem like much more.  Sheesh) securing the ignition wire cover and move it out of the way.  All righty, there are the ignition coils.  On this 5-cylinder engine #3 must be the one in the middle.  The rectangular thing right above the oil filler cap.  Remove the securing bolt and unplug the wire harness.  Remove the ignition coil and replace it.  Put everything back together.

It should be that easy.  If the dude had listened to me the first time maybe.  He just thinks I like his company.  OK, I do, but I’m also saving him thousands of dollars.

That’s cat help and that’s The Real Story.

Chris Barsam Blog Central

Comments